Production Management is a multi-faceted role, bringing together many aspects of the performance or event process. The production manager will be across all production elements, and have an in-depth understanding of the performance or event, and all departments involved.
The production process will contain all or some of the below. Many of these items occur concurrently or overlap.
Get in touch with us to chat about how we can assist your performance or event.
Design and build phase:
- Budget assigning for the entire show (including build costs, crew costs, running costs, and disposal costs)
- Setting production deadlines with designers & suppliers.
- Design Management (meetings, follow up, advice, solutions, generating design paperwork)
- Costing (finding and approaching suppliers, design revisions, supplier contracts)
- Build Management (meetings with designer and supplier, sourcing materials, arranging freight and delivery, logistics around installation into the theatre)
Rehearsal / Development Process:
- Rehearsal space set-up and maintenance
- Weekly production design meetings with creative team and various production personnel
- Monitoring of daily reports to ensure follow up is happening
- Working with production suppliers to install items into rehearsals
- Liaise with venue(s) over schedules, access times, staffing, and venue requirements
- Produce and revise Health & Safety plans for the performance or event
- Produce and revise the production schedule (for installation into the theatre)
- Arrange staffing for installation of all production elements
- Ensure builds and budgets are on track
- Work on securing rights (ie APRA) for any external content used
- Keep a day-to-day eye on Health & Safety and the state of the performance or event
- Ensure each day’s team are inducted into the theatre space and know what is happening around them
- Follow up with installation teams and troubleshoot issues as they arise
- Keep an eye on time and crew hours.
- Ensure cast and show crew are inducted into the theatre
- Ensure schedule is adhered to and amendments sent if needed
- Ensure deadlines are met (performance times, etc)
- Keep budgets and expenditure is up to date
- Cast an eye over the overall audience experience, noticing the things others miss
- Monitor daily reports and ensure action is taken as needed
- Sign off weekly reports from venue, suppliers, and show crew
- Work with show crew to plan maintenance, or extra rehearsals
- Plan the removal of the event (returned, sold, trashed)
- Schedule the pack-out process with venue and suppliers
Pack-out / Post Production
- Be on-site for the removal of the show from the theatre
- Ensure logistics and truck movements happen as planned
- Oversee the packing, storage, or disposal of the show
- Wrap up budgets
- Produce any post-production paperwork (de brief, or reporting)